Things To Do Before Moving to Europe

If you are planning a big move to Europe, such as moving to France or any other country, here are some of the things you might want to do and think about before you leave. There’s a lot to deal with in a move anywhere, but when moving to France, or moving to Holland, or any other European country, you may have a lot more to do than you realized.

One of the first things you may need to think about is a place to live. Have you bought a house or rented a flat in the country you are moving to, or will you stay in a hotel until you find a place? Can you afford a hotel for a month or even three months if it takes longer than you thought to find a house? After buying a house and arranging any legal requirements, the next step is to organise for any furniture and belongings to be moved to your new home in France.

Specialist removal companies can help to make this process easy. They will visit your home, pack up your belongings and drive them to your new home in France. If you are planning on moving to france then go for it.It’s a good thought.

What about your vehicle? Will you take your car with you? How much will that cost? Would it be cheaper to sell your car and buy another one after you arrive?

Under European law, a British driving license will allow you to drive a car on the roads in France. Many British insurance companies will insure a car to be driven on the French roads but, if you are planning to settle permanently in France, it may be more cost effective in the long run to re-register your car in France. The local mairie will be able to help you complete this task.

France has a nationalised health service that provides treatment to all its citizens. As an expat, a little work will need to be done to be transferred over to the French NHS.

The first step is to advise your local doctor that you will be relocating abroad. Ask for any and all medical records as they will need to be presented to the doctors in France.

Upon arriving in France, a green health card, or ‘carte vitale’ as it is known in French, will need to be applied for at the local ‘Caisse d’Assurance Maladie’.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *